Tuesday, May 4, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?

This spring, gardening has taken up a good bit of my time. I envision a day in the not too distant future when gardening will be a family activity. But, for now, I am lucky that Kira loves her wagon so much. I can pull her around while I check on seedlings and do a little watering.

(Doesn't Kira look like Jay in this picture?)

We have quite a few edible perennials in our yard. We inherited two prodigious fig trees, and we LOVE them. Jay has literally eaten himself sick on raw figs in years past! This year, I hope to make TONS of fig preserves. We went through our supply too quickly this winter!

(fig tree)

In the winter of 2008, we planted bareroot plants: nine blueberry bushes, two dwarf apple trees, two Asian pear trees, and one almond tree (all ordered from Ison's nursery for those of you in Georgia).

(blueberry bush)

(Asian pear tree)


This winter I ordered 26 types of seeds from Seed Savers' Exchange in addition to those I had from last year (kept in a cooler in the crawl space). Seed Savers' Exchange carries heirloom seeds that come with fabulous names and descriptions. How can you not order pumpkin seeds when the promised pumpkins are "reminiscent of big wheels of cheese?" So now I'm scrambling to find space for everything and get it all planted. Thus far, I have the following annuals in the ground: three varieties of tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons, four types of beans, basil, and tomatillos. I have more in pots in sunny windows and in seed packets waiting to be planted. I am hoping for quite a harvest!


(Mexico midget tomato)


(bush cucumbers)


(Empress bush bean)


(purple podded pole bean)


These are our bamboo teepees ready for their climbing beans. And just so my flowers don't feel left out, I will leave you with these gorgeous peonies.

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! You are growing a lot! Love seeing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep...she does look like Jay when he was that age; surprising because she looks so much like you with her eyes open. The mongolian eyes keep coming...xomargaret

    ReplyDelete